Vasilis Kostakis is tenured Senior Research Fellow at the Ragnar Nurkse School of Innovation and Governance, Tallinn University of Technology, as well as visiting Research Fellow at the Department of Social and Cultural Anthropology, VU University Amsterdam and visiting Scholar at the Institute of Environmental Science and Technology, Autonomous University of Barcelona.
Moreover, he is Founder of the interdisciplinary research hub P2P Lab and Research Coordinator of the P2P Foundation. Further, he sits on the boards of commons-oriented start-ups, such as Bitmind.co and OpenBionics.org, and open access referred journals, such as TripleC, Journal of Peer Production and Engaging Science, Technology, and Society.
He publishes, lectures, and consults governments and organisations on knowledge/information economy; innovation policy from a heterodox economics perspective; urban studies and regional development with an emphasis on the use of ICT and desktop manufacturing; blockchain-mediated organization; and constructionist learning with a focus on critical making. He tries to combine theoretical sensitivity with action research and fieldwork, aiming at understanding phenomena from an insider's perspective.
Vasilis is also an artist.
- Towards a Political Ecology of the Digital Economy: Socio-environmental Implications of Two Value Models. site text
- Network Society and Future Scenarios for a Collaborative Economy (book). ebook site wiki
- Design Global, Manufacture Local: Exploring the Contours of an Emerging Productive Model. site text
- Open Source 3D Printing as a Means of Learning: An Educational Experiment in Two High Schools in Greece. site text
- Peer Production and Desktop Manufacturing: The Case of the Helix_T Wind Turbine Project. site text
- Commons-Based Peer Production and Artistic Expression: Two Cases from Greece. site text
- Commons-Based Peer Production and Digital Fabrication: The Case of a RepRap-Based, Lego-Built 3D Printing-Milling Machine. site text
- Should Law Keep Pace with Technology? Law as Katechon. site text
- Towards a New Reconfiguration Among the State, Civil Society and the Market. text
- Urban Reconfiguration after the Emergence of Peer-to-Peer Infrastructure sitetext
- The (A)Political Economy of Bitcoin. text
- From the Communism of Capital to Capital for the Commons: Towards an Open Co-operativism. text
- A Peer-to-Peer Approach to Energy Production. site text
- Production and Governance in Hackerspaces: A Manifestation of Commons-Based Peer Production in the Physical Realm? site text
- The Parody of the Commons. text
- At the Turning Point of the Current Techno-Economic Paradigm: Commons-Based Peer Production, Desktop Manufacturing and the Role of Civil Society in the Perezian Framework. text
- The Political Economy of Information Production in the Social Web: Chances for Reflection on our Institutional Design. text
- Identifying and Understanding the Problems of Wikipedia’s Peer Governance. text
- The Amateur Class, or, The Reserve Army of the Web. text